Re: Change templates: CD -> installation medium - proposal #2

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:18:00PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
>Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> Ben Hutchings wrote:
>>>[...]
>>>
>>> I don't know exactly what cdrom-detect does, but it may still be
>>> specific to optical drives.  In that case you could use more specific
>>> terms here, e.g. "The optical disc drive contains a disc which cannot
>>> be used for installation."
>>>
>>> Otherwise a suitable new text could be something like "The detected
>>> drive does not contain a usable installation disk".
>>
>> cdrom-detect (yes, overly-specific name) is still the piece in the
>> initramfs that looks for the rest of d-i, so I still think just
>> changing to "installation disk(s)" here is fine.
>
>I don't follow your logic.  If this dialogue might be talking about a
>thumbdrive, that sounds to me like a valid reason to want to say
>something general like
>
>   "The device does not contain a useful installation image."
>or
>   "No useful installation image found on detected media."
>
>Okay, the message may be coming from something specifically named
>"cdrom-detect", but users don't know that, do they?

That's not the point I was making, though. At the moment they'll get
the "detecting CD" (etc.) messages, even if they're using a USB flash
drive. That's all.

Switching to "installation disk" for all cases is clear enough, and I
firmly that it's the normal idiom in English.

Can we just get on and do this, please?

"C++ ate my sanity" -- Jon Rabone