Re: Change templates: CD -> installation medium - proposal #2

Hi,

MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:

> Tue Sep 10 03:54:12 GMT+01:00 2019 David :
> > For these reasons, I offer a bold suggestion:
> >
> > Work towards eliminating the words "media" and "medium" everywhere,
> > except where they cannot be avoided.
> >
> > Prefer words like "installer device" or "installation device"
> > wherever possible,
>
> That seems like a reasonable idea but I strongly prefer "installation device".
> I have not looked up the reason, but "installer device" sounds very jarring
> to me as an English English first-language speaker.

I wonder if this works for cases, where the installation medium is a CD or DVD?

Do people know what is meant, when you talk about the CD as an "installation
device"?
Is a CD (the optical disc, not the device file under Linux!) known as "a device"?

I am not a native English speaker, but German.
At least in German I think that would not work.

This proposal is to find a coverterm for all installation mediums: CDs, DVDs,
floppys, USB sticks, ISO files within virtual machines ...
This approach should have higher priority than grammatical refinements IMHO.

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076