Re: Change templates: CD -> installation medium - proposal #2

Hi,

David <bouncingcats@gmail.com> wrote:
> These words "medium" & "media" are very awkward for a few reasons:
>
> 1) Contemporary use of the words is such that their "correct" use might
> be evolving. So attempting to use these words correctly is annoying and
> clumsy.
>
> 2) The majority current use of these words by the general popoulation is
> technically incorrect, so using them correctly produces a result that is
> uncomfortable for many readers and therefore might be considered poor
> or ineffective communication style. For example, most people in current
> everyday use will not understand that "medium" might refer to a computer
> file storage device.

In my environment and language (German), "Medium" as in "Speichermedium"
is a common word. In English that might be different though.

And please keep in mind, that we ar talking about a broad range of media here:
CD, DVD, harddisc, USB sticks, ISO files on a harddrive, floppies (yes,
I have learnt recently that in some architectures that's still an acceptable
storage device).
And they all need to covered here.
Maybe we cannot find a term that works perfectly for all of them, however
having a suitable coverterm for all would be the major goal.

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076