Re: Salsa

On Sun, May 06, 2018 at 04:56:49PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
>On Sun, 2018-05-06 at 01:43 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> OK, so I've tried --aggressive too now, and wow does it make a big
>> difference.
>
>AIUI amongst other things --aggressive forces a full repack of the
>repo, which optimises the delta compression in the pack files. You
>could probably achieve most of the effect with `git repack`. It's
>probably diminishing returns at this point but there are options there
>to make it spend (lots) more time/memory to make things even smaller.

Yup.

>>  I've tried using it on the d-i.git and d-i-manual.git
>> repos and the difference is *huge*:
>>
>> # test2, previous results:
>> $ du -s test*
>> 613888  test1-bare.git
>> 3653432 test2-bare.git
>> 714336  test2-manual-bare.git

$ du -s test4-*
138500  test4-archive-bare.git
174504  test4-bare.git
38112   test4-manual-bare.git

>That's much better ;-)

Yup. In fact, at this point I declare the conversion to be as done as
it's going to be. I've just imported these test repos into the
installer-team area:

 https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/d-i
 https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/di-i-manual
 https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/di-i-archive

I've got a local backup of the svn repos still, and I'll keep them for
a while so if we find I've screwed up we can still recover. I'll keep
these for a couple of months.

I've just added the one commit that's happened in the last week
(r71079 from Holger), and all seems good. I'm just about to add my
changes for .mrconfig etc. now.

AFAICS we still need to (in rough order):

 1. Disable svn commits

 2. Tweak the translation workflow to push changes to
     d-i.git/packages/po, instead of d-i in svn.

 3. Change the checkouts of d-i on the buildds etc. to use git?

 4. Update docs to point to the new repos

Anything else?

Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,
Tongue-tied & twisted, Just an earth-bound misfit, I...