Re: Salsa

On Fri, May 04, 2018 at 05:21:53PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
>On Thu, 2018-05-03 at 22:10 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> The outputs from this run
>> were a surprising amount bigger than my first test repo, as the
>> following bare clones from each will show:
>>
>> tack:/tmp$ du -s test*
>> 613888  test1-bare.git
>> 3653432 test2-bare.git
>> 714336  test2-manual-bare.git
>>
>> I've not worked out why yet.
>
>Was this with a completely different tool or the same tool with
>different settings/wrappers?

Different tools.

>If it was a different tool maybe a `git gc --aggressive` will repack
>(and thus compact/delta-compress) the bigger one? (my hypothesis is
>that maybe the first run did it automatically and the second didn't)

ACK, that was my initial thought. The first tool does a "git gc" after
each revision has been converted. The second one doesn't. But I did
"git gc" and "git repack -a -d" on the second afterwards. It reduced
from ~3.8G to the ~3.5G you see here.

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.