Re: speech-enabled expert/rescue/autoinstall keyboard shortcuts

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 01:40:11AM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>Somehow somebody managed to raise that there is no menu entry for
>>starting the rescue mode with speech synthesis enabled.  That actually
>>also raises the question of doing the same for expert install and
>>automated install.
>>
>>It's really a matter of adding the menu entry: just copy/paste the
>>existing expert/rescue/automated entries, and append speakup.synth=soft
>>to it.
>>
>>Now the question is: which keyboard shortcut to use?
>>
>>For now, the only documented accessible keyboard shortcut is "s" to
>>start a speech-enabled installation.  I guess we don't want to add yet
>>other entries to the main menu, so we'd put these additional entries
>>under the "advanced options" submenu, which already has shortcut "a".
>>However, the natural "e", "r" and "a" shortcuts are already taken for
>>the non-speech versions.
>>
>>Would it really be a problem to change the meaning of those shortcuts,
>>to make them start the speech versions instead of the non-speech
>>version?  I have to say I myself never used those shortcuts, since it's
>>so fast to just move down a few times when one is sighted :)
>
> I've personally never used the shortcuts, but I'd be curious if
> anybody might be for automated testing possibly? It'd be easier to do
> that than parse the boot menus...

I'm certainly up for doing automated testing -- to do proper testing
we'd need to work out how to do recognition of the speech sounds made,
and then I'd want to plug that recognition into the back of cucumber, so
that we could add the tests to our jenkins jobs.

If anyone has any pointers for doing any of that, particularly the
recognition bit, that would be most helpful.

FWIW I had not bothered to even notice that the shortcuts exist, let
alone used them, so I fully support reusing the shortcuts for starting
speech-enabled versions.

Cheers, Phil.