Re: speech-enabled expert/rescue/autoinstall keyboard shortcuts

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 01:40:11AM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Somehow somebody managed to raise that there is no menu entry for
>starting the rescue mode with speech synthesis enabled.  That actually
>also raises the question of doing the same for expert install and
>automated install.
>
>It's really a matter of adding the menu entry: just copy/paste the
>existing expert/rescue/automated entries, and append speakup.synth=soft
>to it.
>
>Now the question is: which keyboard shortcut to use?
>
>For now, the only documented accessible keyboard shortcut is "s" to
>start a speech-enabled installation.  I guess we don't want to add yet
>other entries to the main menu, so we'd put these additional entries
>under the "advanced options" submenu, which already has shortcut "a".
>However, the natural "e", "r" and "a" shortcuts are already taken for
>the non-speech versions.
>
>Would it really be a problem to change the meaning of those shortcuts,
>to make them start the speech versions instead of the non-speech
>version?  I have to say I myself never used those shortcuts, since it's
>so fast to just move down a few times when one is sighted :)

I've personally never used the shortcuts, but I'd be curious if
anybody might be for automated testing possibly? It'd be easier to do
that than parse the boot menus...

< sladen> I actually stayed in a hotel and arrived to find a post-it
          note stuck to the mini-bar saying "Paul: This fridge and
          fittings are the correct way around and do not need altering"