Re: fuzzy-marked po entry is used for translation in Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide

Dear Samuel,

Thanks for reply.

At Wed, 25 May 2016 01:49:12 +0200,
Samuel Thibault wrote:

> AYANOKOUZI, Ryuunosuke, on Sun 22 May 2016 19:47:59 +0900, wrote:
> > a 'msgstr' in fuzzy-marked po entry is used for translation of corresponding to a 'msgid'
> > in Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide on the web [1].
> > Is this expected result?
> >
> > [1] https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual.en.html
>
> It's not what I'd expect, indeed, and IIRC not what is expected, i.e.
> fuzzy strings should be using the untranslated version.
>
> This seems to be coming from the behavior of po2xml from the poxml
> package, which does that.  I'd thus say please see the issue with this
> package.

According to KDE document (po2xml is from KDE suite),
KDE project has a documentation build policy:
translated DocBook file is generated if PO file is 100% translated [1].
Matter of fact, 'update_xml' script do not invoke 'po2xml'
if PO has a error or untranslated messages or fuzzy translation [2].
So, as far as following such policy, behavior of 'po2xml' is reasonable.

[1] http://l10n.kde.org/docs/translation-howto/doc-step-by-step.html
[2] https://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kde4/scripts/update_xml?view=markup

Come to think of our case,
if we think 'fuzzy' entries should not be used in translation,
'fuzzy' entries must be eliminated from PO file [3] by 'create_xml' [4]
just before 'po2xml' invocation. Due to the above reasons,
I think this is a bug of 'installation-guide' source package.

[3] $ msgattrib --translated --no-fuzzy --output-file="${PO_FILE}" "${PO_FILE}"
[4] http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/d-i/trunk/manual/scripts/create_xml?view=markup

I attached a patch to demonstrate the concept and remedy.
It would be appreciated if someone review and merge it
when you think the concept is reasonable.

Is it better to file this bug to BTS?

Sincerely yours,
Ryuunosuke Ayanokouzi
--