Re: Install on Orange Pi Plus eMMC work but no reboot

>> 100% correct. People may invest in a board specifically because
>> it's listed.  It's easy to create angry users if that turns out
>> to be false advertisement, which they only discover after
>> they've spent money.
>
> There is no "false advertisement" from Debian. Debian is a
> volunteer project that works on a best-effort basis.  The pure
> fact that an installer image for a certain platform exists
> doesn't in any way claim that each and every possible setup on
> that platform is supported, it only indicates that there is at
> least one way to get Debian running on the system.  It also
> doesn't claim in any way that all hardware features of any
> particular system are supported.  If that were the case, Debian
> effectively couldn't provide a distribution, because on many
> systems certain functions aren't supported by the standard
> installation, be it due to the the lack of mainline kernel
> drivers, the requirement to use non-free firmware or whatever
> else.
>
> In fact, the installation guide explicitly speaks of installing
> to SD/MMC _cards_ on sunxi-based systems; there is no mentioning
> at all of support for installing to onboard memory.  And
> installing to an SD card has worked flawlessly according to what
> Jean-Christian de Rivaz has written further up in this thread.
>
> Again, as I have already stated several times in this thread:
> Yes, adding support for installing u-boot to eMMC to the
> installer would be useful.  But claiming that Debian does "false
> advertising" because this function isn't implemented while Debian
> has nowhere claimed that it is available is just ridiculous.

You don't have to like my comment but it doesn't make it any less
true. You don't need to defend anything to me. You need to understand
that users think like ...users, not developers. This is one of the
reasons I always prompt people to write clear & explicit documentation
- so that it eliminates misleading, confusion, and/or assumption for
those reading it. "False advertisement" may not sound nice but that's
exactly what many average users think when they see hardware listed
only to find out it doesn't actually work.

You've probably heard something similar to this - it's a pretty common
theme: Good developers remember what it's like to be a new or
typical/average user. Bad developers have forgotten and assume
everyone sees it their way. Or should.

-Derek