Re: All D-I's debconf templates in a single HTML page.

On Wed 07 Sep 2016 at 16:42:32 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:

> On Tue, 2016-09-06 at 21:18 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> >
> > I would be very intereted to have some feedback on how useful this is, and if
> > > there would be a more relevant place or format to hold this information.
>
> Seems like it could be very useful, thanks!
>
> Might be worth filtering out the non-question stuff, i.e. "text" and
> "error" types which AFAIK are the contents of various dialog boxes and
> not questions. Not sure if there are others in the same category (I
> didn't see any).

Your suggested filtering is not unreasonable but there could be some
benefit in leaving them there (with a note that they obviously cannot be
preseeded) because one then has a complete list of template options on
which to make decisions.

I'd be more concerned about

  netcfg/target_network_config (select)
  for internal use; can be preseeded Specifies what kind of network
  connection management tool should be configured post-installation if
  multiple are available. Automatic selection is used in this order when
  not specified: network-manager if available (on Linux only), ethernet
  configuration through ifupdown on wired installation and loopback
  configuration through ifupdown on wireless installations.
  Choices:
  Default:

The netcfg templates file has Choices-C and and its omission reduces the
usefulness of this section. There cannot be a default (and one isn't
mentioned) because what is done depends on what is installed and how it
is done.

Again:

  netcfg/link_wait_timeout (string)
  Waiting time (in seconds) for link detection: Please enter the maximum
  time you would like to wait for network link detection.

This has a (missing) "Default: 3".

Everything in one place is certainly useful but, as a simple user, I
have to wonder about the simplicity of reproducing it confidently with
ease.

--
Brian.