Re: Screen support (was: Next d-i alpha release: late June)

Hi Roger,

Roger Shimizu <rogershimizu@gmail.com> (2016-08-08):
> Dear KiBi,
>
> Sorry for not being able to reply earlier.
> You feedback keeps me thinking a fix.
>
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 7:35 AM, Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > I still disagree with the UI changes it imposes on everyone, for the
> > reasons I've already given.
>
> During RFC stage of adding screen-udeb, firstly I though it's not
> necessary for normal PC, which is not exact the same with "everyone"
> you mentioned but should be close to, however a few feedbacks
> convinced me that normal PC still need screen-udeb [0][1][2].
>
> [0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2016/04/msg00369.html
> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2016/04/msg00377.html
> [2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2016/05/msg00004.html
>
> I think the solution below is a middle ground, which I guess it can be
> accepted by everyone.
> - Keep screen-udeb in "common" for everyone, but don't start it
> automatically on i386/amd64.

It'd be nice if Ben, Axel, Philipp (cc'd) could share whether they
expect screen to start automatically, with text and/or graphical
installer, or whether they would be OK to opt in for that (and if so,
how).

> - Create a new "MEDIUM_SUPPORTED" or new folder under build/pkg-lists/
> for i386/amd64, which start screen by default when it's not in gtk
> mode (detecting in runtime)

This seems overkill.

> In this way, for normal image, the screen wouldn't start by default,
> and headless PC owner can choose the later/new image, or choose the
> normal image and start screen manually (specifying
> DEBIAN_FRONTEND=newt).

Please note I mostly disagree with the UI (= User Interface) changes it
imposes on users. I'm fine with it being around for people who would
like to have it, and maybe automatically started (see above); but the
extra bar at the top is a big no for me. Cc-ing Christian to get his
opinion on this matter as he's been taking care of “user interface vs.
users” matters for a long time.

Also, I'm not sure whether we have any input methods which might be
confused by ^A being “eaten” by screen. Does anyone know?

I'm skipping the rest of your mail since it seems to me the core
question to be answered is in my first paragraph, and the rest should
follow.

KiBi.