Re: Screen support (was: Next d-i alpha release: late June)

Hi Roger,

Roger Shimizu <rogershimizu@gmail.com> (2016-07-05):
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 4:48 AM, Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
> > So I've just checked: what started as "screen support would be nice
> > to have in some particular situation, on an opt-in basis" became
> > "let's use screen unconditionally", adding an extra line which means
> > nothing for beginners, possibly making dialogs overflow vertically.
> >
> > I really don't think that's a reasonable default.
>
> Yes, at first I thought screen enabled installer just fit embedded
> system such as ARM boards, after posting it to mailing, quite a few
> people told me it's good idea and is not specific for embedded system,
> but also for x86 server and other high performance server such as
> sparc64.
>
> So I think we can make screen as default, for the text based
> installer.

I still disagree with the UI changes it imposes on everyone, for the
reasons I've already given.

> > Oh and also: this totally breaks the graphical installer!
>
> Sorry to break the gtk installer.
> I just push a commit to disable screen on gtk images, hope it fix the
> issue, for the short term.

I'm not OK with installing something everywhere except where it breaks
stuff. Instead, it should be specifically installed where it's needed.
(That remains to be determined.)

> For the long term, I will try to enable screen on gtk images, because
> gtk images also can be boot as text installer, by kernel param
> "DEBIAN_FRONTEND=newt".
>
> >> In addition to that, please don't forget to include a debian/changelog
> >> update with your commits…
> >
> > The commit message in debian-installer's git repository reads:
> > ,---
> > | Add screen support in pkg-lists
> > |
> > | screen-udeb seems to be useful for most cases, except extremely size
> > | limited platform, such as armel/orion5x in netboot/network-console.
> > `---
> >
> > which doesn't quite describe what's happening here, which is: screen being
> > used by default! I really expect commit messages (and their corresponding
> > changelog entries) to describe what they're doing!
>
> I'm sorry that commit log didn't pass the message.

The changelog entry you've just added (thanks) still doesn't depict what's
happening: you're adding screen-udeb to dependencies, which automatically
starts the installer process within screen. Please do mention that in git
commit messages/changelog entries.

> > important that changes leading to such user-visible changes are
> > carefully checked, and documented. Of course, no-one can anticipate all
> > consequences, but introducing screen at the very beginning of the boot
> > sequence could have triggered a thought about the non terminal-based
> > installer… the graphical installer is even the default now!
>
> Yes, the gtk installer is default now, so I think it should be OK to
> have screen as default for text based installer.
> Of course, it still can be changed, since we're on the alpha stage and
> can have new things play around, and find the best position it should
> be.

KiBi.