Re: joining the team, version control system

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 11:13:25PM -0400, Nicholas D Steeves wrote:
> On 23 April 2016 at 02:57, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
       [ ... ]
> > So, new energy and contributions are much welcomed. I kinda witnessed
> > your work on btrfs from far away and I thinnk the best to do is to
> > apply (on Alioth) for commit access to git so that you can directly
> > work on components where you'd like to see improvements.
> >
> > On behalf of the "team admins" (which shrinks to Cyril and /me) I
> > encourage you to do so.
> >

> Hi Christian!  Yes, I remember you replied to my partman-btrfs RFS,
> concerning the rename of btrfs-tools to btrfs-progs.  From what I
> gather, you prefer changes to be submitted with git, and Philipp Kern
> prefers diffs.  As a result, I'm not sure what I'm I should be
> using...  Also, is it a problem to publish Debian work on github?
> I've read that it is non-free, and wonder if I shouldn't be using it;
> it seemed like the only way to give you a git tree to pull from when I
> only have RO access to debian-installer on Alioth.

FWIW

Christian and Philipp mean the same thing:
  We will find together a way how to work together

It is the base of free software: willling to work together.

How to get "read only access" is documented
at https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/CheckOut

Feel free to ask if you feel something is missing.

About
> is it a problem to publish Debian work on github?

I think it is. And I think the question was more like
  Hi, I'm considering joining this project. I have written code.
  Works for me. I have it in "git". How to it in project repo?

Answer: "git" was designed for distributed development, we find a way.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven