joining the team

Hi,

I'd like to join the Debian Installer installer team to work on better
btrfs integration.  Recently I've been working on a rename of
btrfs-tools to btrfs-progs, and I submitted at patch for
partman-btrfs.  The #1 feature I'd like to work on is support for
installing to a btrfs subvolume.  The #2 feature is btrfs-style
multiple device support in the installer.

I imagine #1 will be fairly easy.  At this point in time I believe
that #2 should be limited to the raid1 profile, with mandatory
duplication of both metadata and data.  Also, at this point in time I
do not believe that compression should be supported.  Additionally,
I've read bug reports recommending displaying a notice in the
installer as to the experimental nature of btrfs.  That would be #3,
but I'd be happy to re-prioritise it as #1.

It might also be worthwhile to support the mount options ssd_spread
and mkfs.btrfs --mixed in the installer; however, the usefulness for
these is limited to filesystems that are < 16GiB, so probably only
used for usb flash, satadom, netbook, and embedded.

The goal is to ship a "safest possible configuration", to enable those
wish to use this next-gen filesystem to try it, while at the same time
reducing bug reports that are caused by the current behaviour.  For
example one of the "killer features" of btrfs is the ability to dump a
subvolume as a FAR data stream.  This doesn't work out-of-the-box on
Jessie, because the feature depends on a named subvolume.

I'd also like to discuss whether the default subvolume naming scheme
should follow Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, or something else.

Best regards,
Nicholas

P.S. I have been subscribed to this list since 5 April 2016