Re: RFC: Handling backports for d-i components

On Tue, 2015-11-03 at 09:56 +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Ian Campbell <ijc@debian.org> (2015-11-03):
> > For flash-kernel (and other bpo things I do outside of d-i) I generally
> > push the tag but not the branch.
> >
> > This is because each bpo upload is essentially a little stub branch
> > rooted at the base release and they do not (at least how I do things)
> > form a coherent fast-forwarding branch over time.
>
> That would definitely work for me! And yeah, I was wondering how to best deal
> with the tempting “dch --bpo and throw away”; I think your approach is
> very fine if there's no more or less permanent diff to carry from a
> backports upload to another one.

Such as adjustments to be made to build in the older suite that's never
happened to me (just lucky I expect). In that case keeping some sort of
branch around does seem useful.

> > flash-kernel has 3.46_bpo8+1 and the approach you mention is what I do
> > too.
>
> Now that you have mentioned the tags w/o an associated branch, I've run
> git fetch with the --tags flag and I now have an extra 3.29.exp.1 tag.
>
> Sorry, but I don't see anything bpo-ish there, missing push maybe?

Ehem, yes. Now done! Sorry.

> > How should we handle the branching though? I suppose:
> > 	git checkout $suite-backports
> > 	git merge $newvwersion
> > would do the trick?
>
> Only if relevant changes are carried from a bpo upload to another one,
> as mentioned in the first part of my reply?

Sounds good to me, themoreso to me since it means I don't need to
change anything for my current backports (other than remembering to
actually push the tag!)

Ian.