Re: RFC: Handling backports for d-i components

On Tue, 2015-11-03 at 00:46 +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> You're receiving this mail because you're on debian-boot@ or you've got
> something ACCEPTED into a backports suite; relevant packages seem to be
> the following ones: debootstrap, di-netboot-assistant, and flash-kernel.
>
> I think it's fair to say that an upload after dch --bpo is easily done,
> but it annoys me a bit not to have the relevant commit and tag recorded
> in git in a $suite-backports branch.

For flash-kernel (and other bpo things I do outside of d-i) I generally
push the tag but not the branch.

This is because each bpo upload is essentially a little stub branch
rooted at the base release and they do not (at least how I do things)
form a coherent fast-forwarding branch over time.

> Could we please standardize on pushing those when uploading to
> backports?
>
> If that's fine with you people, we'll need a common way to handle the
> '~' (which isn't allowed in git tags). Let's avoid reinventing the
> wheel
> and let's standardize on the git-buildpackage approach?
> | ./usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gbp/deb/git.py:         return
> version.replace('~', '_').replace(':', '%')
>
> which means e.g. 1.0.73_bpo8+1 for 1.0.73~bpo8+1 (upcoming
> debootstrap
> upload).

flash-kernel has 3.46_bpo8+1 and the approach you mention is what I do
too.

How should we handle the branching though? I suppose:
	git checkout $suite-backports
	git merge $newvwersion
would do the trick?

Ian.