Re: RFC: Handling backports for d-i components

Ian Campbell <ijc@debian.org> (2015-11-03):
> For flash-kernel (and other bpo things I do outside of d-i) I generally
> push the tag but not the branch.
>
> This is because each bpo upload is essentially a little stub branch
> rooted at the base release and they do not (at least how I do things)
> form a coherent fast-forwarding branch over time.

That would definitely work for me! And yeah, I was wondering how to best deal
with the tempting “dch --bpo and throw away”; I think your approach is
very fine if there's no more or less permanent diff to carry from a
backports upload to another one.

> flash-kernel has 3.46_bpo8+1 and the approach you mention is what I do
> too.

Now that you have mentioned the tags w/o an associated branch, I've run
git fetch with the --tags flag and I now have an extra 3.29.exp.1 tag.

Sorry, but I don't see anything bpo-ish there, missing push maybe?

> How should we handle the branching though? I suppose:
> 	git checkout $suite-backports
> 	git merge $newvwersion
> would do the trick?

Only if relevant changes are carried from a bpo upload to another one,
as mentioned in the first part of my reply?

Mraw,
KiBi.