Re: apt-setup bugs / patch review

Something like this then? Now the idea i had in my head, was that this would just be preseeded with apt-setup/local0/netrc  etc. So that for the next repository, apt-setup/local1/netrc .
Are you suggesting i make this so that people are prompted for the values if they preseed apt-setup/local/netrc to true, (i've made it a booleon, see below), or just preseed the values? in which case do i need to use db_input etc? (for the code).....

Thanks for all your work so far, your teaching me far more than i expected to learn..
Also, yes password, so need to clear, haven't looked up how yet...(i do that in the code i'm assuming), also the file /etc/apt/auth.conf is suggested to be root only read/write so need to set that too.

Template: apt-setup/local/netrc
Type: boolean
Default: false
# :sl3:
#flag:translate!:4
 You chose to use a mirror FTP server that doesn't allow anonymous
 logins but allows authentication with local logins.
 .
 The needed credentials in the syntax described by netrc(5) need to be supplied.
 In the following example, "<packages.example.org>" is the
 mirror server host name, "<myuser>" is the login to use on this server
 and "<mypass>" is the password for that login:
 .
  machine <packages.example.org> login <myuser> password <mypass>
 .
 This information will be stored in "/etc/apt/auth.conf" on the
 installed machine.

Template: apt-setup/local/netrc/machine
Type: string
 This supplies the machine hostname as described for apt-setup/local/netrc.
 Please see netrc(5) for details.

Template: apt-setup/local/netrc/username
Type: string
# :sl3:
 This supplies the username as described for apt-setup/local/netrc.
 Please see netrc(5) for details.

Template: apt-setup/local/netrc/password
Type: password
# :sl3:
 This supplies the password as described for apt-setup/local/netrc.

On 11 May 2014 07:08, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:

> +Template: apt-setup/local/netrc
> +Type: string
> +# :sl3:
> + Please enter here your apt host that requires authentication. Please use
> + the format described by man netrc.
> + .
> + For instance:
> +  machine packages.server.org login myuser password mypass

OK, I now better understand what the patch is supposed to do. So let's
try to cook something.

Template: apt-setup/local/netrc
Type: string
# :sl3:
#flag:translate!:4
 You chose to use a mirror FTP server that doesn't allow anonymous
 logins but allows authentication with local logins.
 .
 Please provide the needed credentials in the syntax described by
 netrc(5). In the following example, "<packages.example.org>" is the
 mirror server host name, "<myuser>" is the login to use on this server
 and "<mypass>" is the password for that login:
 .
  machine <packages.example.org> login <myuser> password <mypass>
 .
 This information will be stored in "/etc/apt/apt.conf" on the
 installed machine.

(the "#flag" is described in po-debconf(7) and allows one to specify
that the 4th string is not translatable (in that case, the example)

By the way, as this contains a password, the patch should make
provision for the information to not be stored in clear in the debconf
database, shouldn't it?

A "password" style template would be better but....in such case, the
entire line won't be shown to users when they type it.

How about prompting three times and then construct the netrc line?

-first prompt about the mirror host name
-then user information
-then password