Re: Installing on btrfs

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:04:46PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
>> Matthijs Wensveen wrote:
>> > It seems that btrfs is supported since grub2 version 1.99~20110104-1:
>> > http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/g/grub2/grub2_1.99-12/changelog#version1.99_20110104-1.
>> > The required module seems to be there:
>> > http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/amd64/grub-pc-bin/filelist.
>> >
>> > So, this might be a bug (omission or oversight) in debian-installer?
>> > Should I file a bug?
>>
>> Thanks for pointing that out. I've started making changes to remove
>> the check for btrfs on /boot.
>
> I sort of wish that it were easier to make this code conditional on
> *both* the partition table setup *and* the boot loader in use (consider
> architectures that GRUB hasn't been ported to yet).  This has long been
> problematic.  The main problem is that when partman check.d scripts run
> we don't yet know what boot loader is going to be used; that decision is
> made later.
>
> I wonder if it would be worth integrating boot loader selection (not
> installation!) into partman?  This wouldn't have to imply UI, except
> maybe in expert mode, but if we knew the answer to that question earlier
> we could make better decisions.

I was sort of thinking along the same lines, except with less
technical knowledge. Might it be possible to do the boot loader
selection *before* partman, and set some state (environment variable
or something) that is checked in a check.d script?
Then after that, a step "Install the selected boot loader" would
actually install it (or not when the user selected so).

But this is beside the fact that grub seems to support btrfs currently
(on i386 and amd64 at least).

Matthijs