Re: Installing on btrfs

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:04:46PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Matthijs Wensveen wrote:
> > It seems that btrfs is supported since grub2 version 1.99~20110104-1:
> > http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/g/grub2/grub2_1.99-12/changelog#version1.99_20110104-1.
> > The required module seems to be there:
> > http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/amd64/grub-pc-bin/filelist.
> >
> > So, this might be a bug (omission or oversight) in debian-installer?
> > Should I file a bug?
>
> Thanks for pointing that out. I've started making changes to remove
> the check for btrfs on /boot.

I sort of wish that it were easier to make this code conditional on
*both* the partition table setup *and* the boot loader in use (consider
architectures that GRUB hasn't been ported to yet).  This has long been
problematic.  The main problem is that when partman check.d scripts run
we don't yet know what boot loader is going to be used; that decision is
made later.

I wonder if it would be worth integrating boot loader selection (not
installation!) into partman?  This wouldn't have to imply UI, except
maybe in expert mode, but if we knew the answer to that question earlier
we could make better decisions.