Re: Needed input from Australian users and developers:; choosing timezones for Australia in D-I

Quoting Ben Finney (ben+debian@benfinney.id.au):
> Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I'm just not fond of "Australia/Sydney" presented as a choice, I'd
> > rather have "New South-Wales".
>
> (Regardless of what you choose, FYI it's “New South Wales”, no hyphen.)

Sure. If I finally decide to go for a list of states and territories
for AU, I'll look back at the ISO-3166-2 database and use the exact
wording there (which, I confirm, doesn't use hyphens, you're right).

> Why do you prefer that? Australia is highly urbanised; we're accustomed
> to “Sydney” as a stand-in for “New South Wales”. Moreover, it's very
> common for time zones around the world to be described by the dominant
> city of the region (“Tokyo time”, “London time”, etc). What makes you
> dislike it?

Probably a feeling that maybe that, time being decided by states, it
makes sense to refer to states. I agree this is somehow
borderline....and I think it's at least worth taking time to think
about this with the constant goal of keeping things as simple as
possible (leaving "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata" to very very picky people).