Re: Needed input from Australian users and developers:; choosing timezones for Australia in D-I

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 12:28:18PM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> writes:
> > That's indeed insane..:-). Hobart (Tasmania), Melbourne (Victoria),
> > Sydney (NSW) and Canberra (ACT) have the *exact* same time rules
> > (including DST).
>
> But they didn't always; and with the tendency of governments to flex
> their arbitrary timezone powers, they may be different again in future.

Indeed, Vic and NSW only aligned themselves with Tasmania a few years
back. Tasmania had longer daylight savings periods for years before.
It's feasible that it will differ again in the future.

I think Vic/ACT/NSW discrepancies are unlikely but it doesn't seem worth
removing them to me.

Hamish