Re: Needed input from Australian users and developers:; choosing timezones for Australia in D-I

Quoting Paul Wise (pabs@debian.org):
> I agree with the other Australians in the thread; the east-coast
> timezones are currently all the same but might not be in the future so
> we shouldn't rely on them being the same and we should allow selection
> of Australia/Sydney vs Australia/Melbourne.

Sure. That was an option I was considering, too.

I'm just not fond of "Australia/Sydney" presented as a choice, I'd
rather have "New South-Wales".

Given that the map idea is great...but just an idea which I certainly
am unable to implement, and that I have to deal with what we have
*now*, I hereby propose selecting states:

 New South-Wales
 Victoria
 Australian Capital Territory
 Queensland
 Tasmania
 South Australia
 Northern Territory
 Western Australia
 Eyre Highway
 Yancowinna county
 Lord Howe Island

I will probably propose the same for some federal countries where
timzeone and DST rules are set by states/provinces: Brazil and
Argentina come to mind (Russia is too complicated for this to be a
sane option). So could Mexico.

USA and Canada are a fairly different case: the overall use of
Atlantic/Eastern/Central/Moutain/Pacific is quite well known among the
countries. We may just need to deal with specific exception (Navajo
nation not following DST, the Indiana nightmare, etc.)

I'll open separate thread for each country to avoid something too
messy.