Re: Grub2 installed with wrong boot commands

On 8 September 2010 18:36, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
OK.  Now, hd0 and hd1 names are not guaranteed to be consistent even
between different boots of the same device.  The 'set root' command is
just supposed to be a last-ditch fallback.  The thing that's actually
supposed to set root is a 'search' command later in grub.cfg, which
should be finding the root device by filesystem UUID.

Okay, I was wrong about the symptoms. I just had to re-install, so I could check this out again, and GRUB actually does find the initrd just fine. It's actually the line:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-486 root=/dev/sdb1 ro quier

The problem is that the target FS is /dev/sdb1 when the USB installer is plugged in, but when it's just the flash disk, it's /dev/sda1. I can fix this to be /dev/sda1, boot into the system and run

grub-mkdevicemap
update-grub

...and the offending line becomes:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-486 root=UUID=fa9a0d.... ro quiet

So could the installer do this in the first place? That is, create the GRUB menu entry to use the UUID instead of an arbitrary device node?

- Jason