Grub2 installed with wrong boot commands

I've been trying to install Debian Squeeze on a Helios single board
computer with 512MB of flash disk space and 256MB RAM. I've been using
the daily build of the Squeeze boot.img.gz and netinst ISO to do a USB
boot and install.

Mostly it goes okay, but the grub2 installation is a real pain. The
installer detects the USB install media (FAT16) as the first hard
drive (/dev/sda) and the target (the flash disk) as the second
(/dev/sdb). I tell it *not* to install to the MBR of the first hard
drive, but to install to the MBR of /dev/sdb. It then configures grub2
with the following lines for booting:

insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos1)'
[ and then some kernel lines]

These are completely wrong - upon booting up without the USB stick in,
I get dropped to a busybox prompt (because there is no hd1). I need to
restart and edit the grub2 entries to be:

insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,0)'

...and then Debian starts up nice and happy.

So my first question is: I want to avoid this for future
installations. How do I tell the installer what to do next time
around?

My second question is: where do I change these lines for my current
installation?

Cheers,
Jason