Re: Grub2 installed with wrong boot commands

On 8 September 2010 17:35, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:

> Something else is wrong then, because partition numbers start from 1 in
> GRUB 2 - 0-based partition numbers no longer work.  Is it possible that
> there's a very old version of GRUB hanging around in a boot sector
> somewhere?

I'm pretty certain that there's not - AFAIK this was a pristine flash
card. But that may have been my mistake, and (hd0, 1) would have
worked. I logged into the freshly installed system and re-ran
grub-mkdevicemap, grub-install /dev/sda and update-grub, which
generated:

insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos1)'

...which works.

However, the "msdos" stuff worries me a bit. Now that I think about
it, there could be another FAT16 formatted storage device attached
somewhere (running FreeDOS). What's the easiest way to check what
storage devices are available without mounting them?

- Jason