Re: Review of console-setup wrt D-I [very long]

Frans Pop, le Sun 28 Jun 2009 14:36:25 +0200, a écrit :
> On Sunday 28 June 2009, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > > In that case there really _should_ be a "Netherlands - Dvorak" layout
> > > as well.
> >
> > If someone could implement the dutch dvorak, sure. Remember that dvorak
> > is per-language. You can always use the english dvorak for Dutch, but
> > that's not efficient.
>
> It is a necessary consequence of the proposal to make the *country* the
> primary selection mechanism instead of selecting the correct nationality
> for the standard.

I don't understand how dvorak being language-based is a consequence of
that.  It's an intrisic of dvorak layouts to be language-based.

> > > What could possibly work is some ability to define cheap symlinks, but
> > > duplicating entire layouts really is insane (IMHO).
>
> > xkb uses cheap symlinks. They just need to be defined. Talk with the
> > upstream bug report, really.
>
> No thanks, I have no interest in helping to promote an insane scheme.

Which scheme are you talking about?  Calling it "insane" doesn't help
the discussion, really.  I'm here talking about arranging variants in
the nl layout so that in my proposal (several size-increasing lists of
layouts), the us variant appears in the very first list thanks to being
announced in xkb-data's nl layout, the rationale being that it's really
widespread in NL (that wouldn't be the case for FR for instance).

Samuel