Re: Review of console-setup wrt D-I [very long]

On Sunday 28 June 2009, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Frans Pop, le Sun 28 Jun 2009 13:00:19 +0200, a ?crit :
> > BTW, I would expect there are people in NL using Dvorak, but it's not
> > being offered as a choice there...
>
> Because xkb doesn't have that layout.

Do you mean that xkb has a _separate_ layout for "Netherlands - American
English"? That is... insane.

In that case there really _should_ be a "Netherlands - Dvorak" layout as
well. And shouldn't also a "Netherlands - Sun American English" be
offered besides the existing "Netherlands - Sun dead keys" one? (I
actually have a Sun Type 5 keyboard with us layout which originally came
from some Dutch educational or research institute and I really do NOT
want dead keys with that.) And...

Do you see the problem here? The country-based hierarchy used by upstream
is fundamentally broken and trying to patch it by selectively adding some
non-existing variants like "Netherlands - American English" does nothing
to solve that.

What could possibly work is some ability to define cheap symlinks, but
duplicating entire layouts really is insane (IMHO).

> > > ERrr, really? That's not what dutch people I've talked with told
> > > me. Anyway, that's not the question at stake.
> >
> > See these pages from a Dutch on-line newspaper:
> > http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/4270616/__Strengere_controle_op_pr
> >ive-gebruik_zakenauto__.html?p=40,1
> > http://www.telegraaf.nl/buitenland/4270520/__Belgisch_pardon_voor_ill
> >egalen__.html?p=40,2
>
> That's newspaper, not everyday writing.

So newspaper people are not allowed to use Debian?
Or closer to home: am I not allowed to have a decent keyboard layout as I
do prefer to properly use accents?

> > I'll believe you if people say they don't bother in informal emails
> > or SMS, but ask them if they also don't bother when writing an
> > application for a job...
>
> They told me rather for writing their PhD.

And that gets accepted? /me cries...