Re: howto reduce size of a debian base system?

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 16:41:30 +0100, "Geronimo Ma. Hernandez"
<geronimo013@gmx.com> wrote:

>I would like to build such a tiny system even for i386 or amd64 systems, where
>I can put the base system on a readonly memory stick (so a harddisk is only
>needed for logfiles and other changing data).

There is another project that may be closer to what you want. The
[1]community of [2]Puppy Linux has spawned a [3]project named "Dpup"
that combines the design goals of Puppy with the package archives of
Debian. A parallel project named "Upup" uses the Ubuntu repositories.

The goal is a small (around 120MB) base distribution with full apt-get
or synaptic access to the thousands of Debian (or Ubuntu) packages. Both
are in active development and have images available for testing.

See the community [1]discussions for announcements.

[1] http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=43
[2] http://puppylinux.com/
[3] http://www.dpup.org/

--
I just realized the USB stick I casually loaned somebody has more capacity
than all the disk drives at my university (and cost less than one textbook.)