Re: howto reduce size of a debian base system?

Hello,

> > Is there already a debian way to build a compact base-system by usage of
> > busybox?
> > Or how can I create such a system?
>
> Do you know about emdebian.org?

Thank you very much for that hint - and No, I didn't know about it yet.

I gave grip a try, but I'm quite disappointed. The system after debootstrap is
only 20 MB smaller than a standard debootstrap - and busybox wasn't used at
all.

The goals of crush sound very attractive to me and I feel sorry, that crush is
only intended for arm and other embedded CPUs.
I would like to build such a tiny system even for i386 or amd64 systems, where
I can put the base system on a readonly memory stick (so a harddisk is only
needed for logfiles and other changing data).
For me, there's no reason to need or want a compiler or any other development
tool on such a system.
Building packages on a different machine, or better said OS-installation (wich
might be the same machine, booted from a harddisk instead of the stick) is
what I would like to get (some day ;) )!

I know, memory is becoming cheaper and cheaper, but I don't like to waste
space and money without need. So I would like to work on crush for commonly
used PC-cpus.

kind regards

Geronimo