Re: debian-installer for GNU/kFreeBSD

Am Mittwoch, den 14.10.2009, 14:07 -0400 schrieb Rick Thomas:
> On Oct 14, 2009, at 8:14 AM, Robert Millan wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:23:57AM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> >>
> >> Note however that the daily image will still be based on sid, like
> >> other
> >> daily images, but will install testing instead.
> >
> > I believe other daily images are based on testing.  Though, I'm not
> > sure if
> > that currently works for kfreebsd-*.
>
> Let me see if I've got this right...
>
> The installer being "based on" (e.g.) Sid/unstable means that the
> active components of the installer CDs (the parts that do the
> installing, not the parts that will be installed) come from the
> current Sid/unstable toolset.  It is possible (even, sometimes, done)
> for an installer to be "based on" testing/Squeeze, or even stable/Lenny.
>
> Regardless of what the installer is "based on", it should be able to
> install components from any of the current distributions: stable/
> Lenny, testing/Squeeze, unstable/Sid.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> If so, there remains the question of were the passive components (i.e.
> things being installed) of the installer CDs/DVDs/etc... are drawn from.
>
> Is there an established policy on any of this?

Only the businesscard and netboot dailys allow you to choose
stable/testing/unstable.
The netinst dailys which contain the base system always install testing.
They are created with the udebs in unstable/sid.
For the weekly images it's probable the same as with netinst.
Though maybe they use the udebs from testing.
The normal set of CD/DVD images for the stable release are AFAIK made
from the installer in stable and allow only to install stable.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer