Re: debian-installer for GNU/kFreeBSD

Am Mittwoch, den 14.10.2009, 14:07 -0400 schrieb Rick Thomas:
> On Oct 14, 2009, at 8:14 AM, Robert Millan wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:23:57AM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> >>
> >> Note however that the daily image will still be based on sid, like
> >> other
> >> daily images, but will install testing instead.
> >
> > I believe other daily images are based on testing.  Though, I'm not
> > sure if
> > that currently works for kfreebsd-*.
> Let me see if I've got this right...
> The installer being "based on" (e.g.) Sid/unstable means that the
> active components of the installer CDs (the parts that do the
> installing, not the parts that will be installed) come from the
> current Sid/unstable toolset.  It is possible (even, sometimes, done)
> for an installer to be "based on" testing/Squeeze, or even stable/Lenny.
> Regardless of what the installer is "based on", it should be able to
> install components from any of the current distributions: stable/
> Lenny, testing/Squeeze, unstable/Sid.
> Is this correct?
> If so, there remains the question of were the passive components (i.e.
> things being installed) of the installer CDs/DVDs/etc... are drawn from.
> Is there an established policy on any of this?

Only the businesscard and netboot dailys allow you to choose
The netinst dailys which contain the base system always install testing.
They are created with the udebs in unstable/sid.
For the weekly images it's probable the same as with netinst.
Though maybe they use the udebs from testing.
The normal set of CD/DVD images for the stable release are AFAIK made
from the installer in stable and allow only to install stable.

Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer