Re: debian-installer for GNU/kFreeBSD

On Oct 14, 2009, at 8:14 AM, Robert Millan wrote:

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:23:57AM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:

Note however that the daily image will still be based on sid, like other
daily images, but will install testing instead.

I believe other daily images are based on testing. Though, I'm not sure if
that currently works for kfreebsd-*.

Let me see if I've got this right...

The installer being "based on" (e.g.) Sid/unstable means that the active components of the installer CDs (the parts that do the installing, not the parts that will be installed) come from the current Sid/unstable toolset. It is possible (even, sometimes, done) for an installer to be "based on" testing/Squeeze, or even stable/Lenny.

Regardless of what the installer is "based on", it should be able to install components from any of the current distributions: stable/ Lenny, testing/Squeeze, unstable/Sid.

Is this correct?

If so, there remains the question of were the passive components (i.e. things being installed) of the installer CDs/DVDs/etc... are drawn from.

Is there an established policy on any of this?

Thanks!

Rick