Re: 40r6 locks up during boot

On Sunday 11 January 2009, John wrote:
> This time I'm using the first 40r6 DVD image which I downloaded today.
>
> It's been spinning there for 1 hour 11 minutes, running 100% CPU. It's
> read 5.1 Mbytes from disk (that would be the virtual DVD), written 0.
> There's been a few K of network I/O, I assume that's the virtual
> display.

If you really want Etch I'd suggest you try Etch-and-a-half installer [1]
which has a more recent kernel (2.6.24). Otherwise trying Lenny is the
best option.

> I intend to download the current daily (daily? it's nearly a week old)
> overnight, and time permitting with give that ago tomorrow.

Huh? Daily images are all up-to-date AFAICT. DVD images are built weekly,
not daily.

But why don't you download a smaller image first to see if it works? You
could even use the mini.iso for that (see "other images", netboot).

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/debian-installer/etchnhalf