Re: 40r6 locks up during boot

John wrote:
I'm running Windows Virtual Server on Windows Server 2003 on and HP DC5950, Athlon 4550B CPU running in IA32. It's not clear to me whether it has hardware virtualisation, I thought all recent AMD CPUs do, but virtual PC (which got removed when I installed Server 2003) said not. It's not configurable in the BIOS.

VS emulates a BX chipset, and has an AMI bios.

I have successfully installed other distributions and other releases of Debian (including 4.0) under VS (and under Virtual PC) on Windows XP Professional.

This time I'm using the first 40r6 DVD image which I downloaded today.

I haven't yet figured how to get screen dumps in Windows, so I will summarise the last few lines rather than posting an image somewhere.

There are the usual PIIX4 messages including "not 100% native mode", reports of ide0 and ide1.
Then floppy drive fd0.
Two parport messages, very ordinary
Then
hda Virtual HD, ATA DISK drive
FDC 0 is an 82078

These messages are from booting an installed Linux in virtual PC. The emulated machine is similar, but might not be exactly the same. Nor does this snipped accurately reflect the messages I saw, I have provided more for context, and ordering is different, maybe because the installer's kernel's modules are loaded in a different order.

These are from Linux version 2.6.18-6-686 (Debian 2.6.18.dfsg.1-23etch1) (dannf@debian.org) (gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)) #1 SMP Fri Dec 12 16:48:28 UTC 2008.

ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
PIIX4: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:07.1
PIIX4: chipset revision 1
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
Probing IDE interface ide0...
hda: Virtual HD, ATA DISK drive
hdb: Virtual CD, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
Probing IDE interface ide1...
hda: max request size: 128KiB
hda: 8388576 sectors (4294 MB) w/64KiB Cache, CHS=8322/16/63, DMA
 hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 >
hdb: ATAPI DVD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
Attempting manual resume
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
input: PC Speaker as /class/input/input1
piix4_smbus 0000:00:07.3: Found 0000:00:07.3 device
Real Time Clock Driver v1.12ac
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is an 82078.
trackpoint.c: failed to get extended button data
parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
Adding 240932k swap on /dev/hda5.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:240932k
EXT3 FS on hda1, internal journal
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
device-mapper: ioctl: 4.7.0-ioctl (2006-06-24) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
IBM TrackPoint firmware: 0x01, buttons: 0/0
input: TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint as /class/input/input2
ts: Compaq touchscreen protocol output

There are none of the filesystem messages in the failing boot (nor would one expect them!), and the failing system has an emulated optical drive, but it might not be hdb. There was no message about the optical device.

It's been spinning there for 1 hour 11 minutes, running 100% CPU. It's read 5.1 Mbytes from disk (that would be the virtual DVD), written 0. There's been a few K of network I/O, I assume that's the virtual display.

I most recently booted with noapic nolapic.

I intend to download the current daily (daily? it's nearly a week old) overnight, and time permitting with give that ago tomorrow.

ps I expect that this system will, if needs be, run Linux (but I won't make any assumptions about good graphics) - the diagnostics disk is based on Linux. There are drivers for the important bits (a sore point with the dc7700s I have).