Re: Adding ttf-sil-abyssinica-udeb to packages used in the GTK installer?

Hi Frans,

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:35:32PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> I forget why we still have dejavu. Davide: what are the chances of getting
> rid of that?

ttf-dejavu has been the default font used in g-i for awhile now, so if
the question is why we still have freefont, that's because it's
probably the best alternative for covering most Indic languages (see
"Indic family scripts" section in [1])

We will be able to get rid of the package once we'll have a valid
alternative (I hope these ranges will be added to dejavu)

> The last 4 or 5 are IMO no problem given their size, but for ttf-tmuni and
> sil-abyssinica and possibly malayalam-fonts a size reduction would be
> welcome.
> Maybe we should also consider removing them if another language is selected
> (which of course does not help the initrd size)?

yes, that could be a good solution; don't know if ATM it'd be worth
investing time on this, given the pretty hight minimal resources for a
g-i based installation.

It'd be also interesting to know if we could emphasize text using just
different fontsizes rather than providing bold/italic ttf files

regards,
Davide

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/GUIFonts