Re: Adding ttf-sil-abyssinica-udeb to packages used in the GTK installer?

Thanks for the answers. Given that there are no obvious problems in the
package, I have no problem with adding it when localechooser is uploaded
with Amharic activated.

On Sunday 06 January 2008, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > What is its size?
>
> 220kb

Hmm. That's the package size. Installed size is 608kB.

That means we now have (sizes as reported by packages.d.o):
Package				Package Size	Installed Size
ttf-freefont-udeb (base)	  317.4 kB	 576 kB

ttf-cjk-compact-udeb		1,070.4 kB	1,816 kB
ttf-tmuni-udeb			  477.7 kB	1,356 kB
ttf-dejavu-udeb			  411.1 kB	  780 kB
ttf-sil-abyssinica-udeb		  215.6 kB  	  608 kB
ttf-malayalam-fonts-udeb	  132.4 kB	  364 kB
ttf-khmeros-udeb		  105.3 kB	  260 kB
ttf-thai-tlwg-udeb		   99.2 kB	  168 kB
ttf-farsiweb-udeb		   65.5 kB	  160 kB
ttf-tamil-fonts-udeb		   35.1 kB	   96 kB
                                ----------      -------
Total				2,929.7 kB	6,184 kB

So, sil-abyssinica is certainly one of the larger fonts and adds
significantly to the G-I memory footprint.

cjk-compact is by far the largest, but also effectively covers 4 major
languages.

I forget why we still have dejavu. Davide: what are the chances of getting
rid of that?

The last 4 or 5 are IMO no problem given their size, but for ttf-tmuni and
sil-abyssinica and possibly malayalam-fonts a size reduction would be
welcome.
Maybe we should also consider removing them if another language is selected
(which of course does not help the initrd size)?