Re: Side comment: Re: Interaction with user in preseed's early/late command

Quoting Frans Pop (elendil@planet.nl):

> Because basically I don't really feel any obligation or have much desire
> to provide support people running Ubuntu. I think people should at the
> very least ask first on an Ubuntu list.

> If Ubuntu wants to take all the fame and glory, then the least they can do
> is provide their own user support. It's not that I envy Ubuntu anything,
> but I do feel we get too little back for them to have to support their
> users.

Hmm, come on. This is really not the way Ubuntu behave with us wrt the
installer. We have the incredible luck of the constant commitment of
Colin to keep a good link and to do the best for D-I to benefit from
develoments made for Ubuntu.

I don't see "them" taking fame and glory for our work. That may happen
in some other parts of Debian (though I think this is more somethign
of the past) but, again, I never felt this for D-I.

> If he'd said explicitly "I asked this question on $ubuntu-list, but they
> could not help me so I thought I'd try here. I hope you don't mind." then
> I would have no problem with that. But there was no indication of
> anything like that in the mail.

Well, that also sounds like excusing self for coming from the "wrong"
side, don't you think?

The asked question was clear and honest and did not imply that he was
"requesting support" or anything similar. He was just trying to get
help just like any other user.

> However, If my reaction bothers you I will in future just ignore such
> mails instead of adding this request and helping the user anyway.

 Well, I tell you frankly what I feel about this reaction because I
think we have enough experience in working together more or less
closely, to be able to talk about our disagreements.

Which, indeed, does not imply to take immediate and definitive actions
such as the one you mention. Particularly as the only people who would
be hurt by this are other users who might do the same request for help
in the future and were not involved here.