Interaction with user in preseed's early/late command

Hi,

I'm trying to customize an ubuntu 8.04 installation using an alternate CD. I created an preseed file and I use early and late commands to customize the installation. Commands to install and remove packages work fine.
I'm having trouble in executing scripts that interacts with the user. For example, if I try to run the following script, it doesn't work the way I want, because I can't activate the virtual terminal(vt) #3 via script. The 'echos' are redirected to vt #3 but not the 'read' command, so the installations stops because it can't pass the read command.

-------------
#!/bin/sh

chvt 3
echo "\n" > /dev/tty3
echo "
" > /dev/tty3

echo "Enter your name: "
read name
echo "You entered $name"

When you change to other vt(command chvt 3), you get the message "Please press enter to activate this console" and have to press "Enter" to activate the virtual terminal.I tried to simulate that 'Enter' using the echo commands above, but they don't work, the vt remains deactivated.

I don't know if I made myself clear. My english is not that good ..

Any suggestions to solve my problem? any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Att
Gustavo Miranda.