Re: syslinux vesamenu

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:

> On Monday 14 April 2008, Joey Hess wrote:
>> Last month syslinux got submenu support for vesamenu, so its now doable..
>>
>> Here's an example image with menu items for text and gtk:
>> http://kitenet.net/~joey/tmp/mini.iso
>
> That looks a _lot_ more usable.
>
> I think I'd still prefer:
> Install
> Install (graphical)
>
> Rescue mode
> Rescue mode (graphical)

I prefer to move rescue, as suggested, but do not change it to (graphical).

> I guess that I don't have any hard objections anymore. The fact that it's
> pretty easy to add boot parameters is quite important.
>
> I agree that this should be implemented soon if we want this to be included
> in Beta1. Especially as it means we'll need some updates in the
> installation guide before we string freeze that.

I'd like to know when Joey plans to commit it. Joey?

> IMO the syslinux help screens will need some updates as well.
>
>> Here's an example image with the full set of possible options:
>> http://kitenet.net/~joey/tmp/minifakemulti.iso
>
> In this one the Advanced menu is still a bit much. Maybe split that
> into "Advanced menu" and "64-bit advanced menu"?

The 64-bit variants might go inside of parens so the text all looks
similar for user. Moving rescue to the first menu will reduce the
number of itens at Advanced menu and I think it'll looks OK then.

>> > It would also be nice to have a function key that returns the user to
>> > the vesa menu (if possible).
>>
>> The best thing I've been able to come up with is ctrl-alt-del to get
>> back to the menu.
>
> Well, at least you can get back to the menu from editing a command line
> (after tab) by pressing escape.
>
>> You can define a boot target that restarts the vesa menu, but I ran into
>> some bugs when doing it, and requring people type "menu" to get back to
>> the menu is not very intuitive.
>
> Agreed it should be possible to define a function key for it. Would be good
> IMO to discuss this with upstream.

Which key you all suggest?

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R