Re: Custom driver image for etch

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:

> It seems overly complex to me.
> Why not just put the modules on a webserver somewhere and then just use a
> preseed-early script to do wget and depmod? If that is done before Detect
> disks, then it should possibly even be loaded automatically.
> And then use a preseed-late script to do similar things for the target
> system.

Thanks for the information, I'll look at this method for now.

> Basically, there are many ways to do this. But if you want to do something
> complex, you'll need to invest the time to learn how yourself.
> If you do find something that works for you and is not documented yet,
> adding it to the wiki would be appreciated.

No problem, I was looking for some pointers really, but had assumed
that as the installer had the option for requesting additional images
that there was some supported/defined way of doing it.

Perhaps there should be?

If Debian is competing for market share with other platforms then
wouldn't it be beneficial if there was a fairly simple technique
for vendors to create an image or other media, for getting a custom
driver into the kernel for installation and thereafter.

Not to compare to Redhat because I'm not a fan ;) but they do have
a fairly simple form for third party images that can be pulled in
from floppy, CD, network, kickstart, etc.  It would be great to
see something similar in the Debian installer.

-Paul-