Custom driver image for etch

I need to use a kernel module at install time and thereafter,
for a RAID card that isn't supported in the standard kernels.

I could build a custom installer/kernel, but I'd really like
to only install the driver module so that the system can still
make use of the standard updated kernels.  Presuming that any
apt upgraded kernels would not wipe out my custom driver.

I see the debian-installer will load a driver image if I want,
but I can't find anywhere that says how to go about creating
one.

So how do I go about creating a custom driver image?

Or any other insight on how to load additional modules?

Preferably I would like this to be loadable during a PXE
initiated install.

-Paul-