Re: Booting Etch on a Proliant 8000 (6 CPU)

On Thursday 17 January 2008 15:53, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Mateo Obregon <mateo_obregon@fidic.org.co> writes:
> >>
> >> You could install the system and later update the kernel of it.
> >
> > I tried this, but the updated kernels all hand and reset the computer at
> > about the same position. I compiled a new kernel from the latest stable
> > source, including cpqarray and specifying SMP, but this also made the
> > machine reset.
>
> This looks to be a kernel bug.
>
> > What could be causing the kernel to not boot? What options should I
> > enclude or exclude in compiling a new SMP kernel from source?
>
> Too difficult to answer without the machine specs and a deeply look on
> the log.

The machine is a 2001 Compaq Proliant 8000 server with 6 Pentium III XEONs
(700MHz) and a Compaq SmartArray and 4 ultrawide SCSI disks. I upgraded the
BIOS to the latest (2003) version. No pcmcia; no special graphics; no sound.
The BIOS doesn't make any reference to PNP nor APCI options.

The v2.4 kernels boot (although the Sarge version only uses 1 CPU), as does
the 2.6 version of the Sarge boot kernel.

> You could try to put Mandriva kernel on it and then get the rest of
> info to make it to work.

How can a  get the info from a running (precompiled) Mandriva version?

Thank you.

Mateo.