Re: r47699 - in trunk/packages/cdebconf

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 09:32:40PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 June 2007 21:09, Colin Watson wrote:
> > * If DEBCONF_DROP_TRANSLATIONS is set to 1, then don't read
> > translations we aren't going to use, and reload the templates database
> > if the language is changed since we might not have the correct
> > translations in memory any more. This saves around 20MB of memory at
> > d-i run-time (closes: #329743). Note that this means that after the
> > templates database is first saved (in practice, after anna has run), it
> > will no longer be possible to change the language and get translated
> > messages.
>
> I would like to see this fact registered somehow so that localechooser can
> be made to show an appropriate dialog and take appropriate action if the
> user does return to it after this stage.

Done in r47706, I think, albeit not quite in the right place. Somebody
else gets to fiddle with localechooser. :-)

> Something I just now remember...
> Some installation methods run localechooser delayed (s/390, some arm
> installs) as does the 'hands-off' infrastructure. We'll have to check how
> this affects those installs. I think most should be OK.

They don't run anna first, do they? I know kickseed does, but it won't
set DEBCONF_DROP_TRANSLATIONS=1 so shouldn't be affected. Anything that
doesn't explicitly set the environment variable should be fine.

Perhaps setting that environment variable in /lib/debian-installer/menu
is the wrong place, or perhaps it should be conditional on $MENU being
/usr/bin/main-menu? It can't be done in main-menu because it needs to be
set in debconf's environment.