Re: About console-setup in d-i

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 06:54:38PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > A couple of days ago I uploaded a new release of kbd where I did
> > everything I can do about this package (including the udeb).  It entered
> > unstable today.  Now I will wait some time to see if I have introduced
> > some bugs so I have a chance to fix them.  After that I will announce
> > the package offered for adoption (I don't want to make it orphaned).
>
> You mean you don't want to to maintain it?

I can not maintain it even if I wanted to...  I never ever imagined
I'd be making uploads of it before your previous message in this
thread made me realise I inherited it. :) But before I offer it for
adoption I want this package to be in as good shape as possible so if
you know something that needs to be done about kbd, please tell.

We can say there are two parts in this package - C tools and shell
scripts.  I am not not experienced enough in C.  A simple compilation
error in an unknown code would take me a lot of time to fix.  If this
happens to kbd I would be unable to fix the package.

On the other hand I think I am already experienced in scripts to setup
console.  The problem here however is that for obvious reasons I am
unable to use simultaneously the scripts in kbd and the scripts in
console-setup on one computer.  I am already a maintainer of two
packages I can not use together on my developer mashine (console-setup
and console-cyrillic) and having to take care of a third is too much.

Nevertheless this is bearable if I am not the sole maintainer of kbd.

Anton Zinoviev