Re: debian-installer plans for the lenny cycle

On Tuesday 17 April 2007 21:06, Luk Claes wrote:
> We would like to know which major features are expected to be added in
> the next 24 months and how much time you expect them to need to get
> stable enough for a Debian stable release.

An overview of the plans of the D-I team can be found at:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/LennyGoals

Most of this is incremental development and not earth-shattering change.
Quite a few items are optional.

The most major planned change is probably that we plan to drop support for
devfs style device names for Lenny which means a lot of small and larger
changes throughout the installer. We've already started on some code
cleanup, for example because of dropped support for 2.4 kernels.

I don't see any problems with the planned release schedule, especially as
the coordination between the D-I team and RMs has always been pretty
close anyway. The general freeze is extremely important for the installer
for tuning of tasks, finalizing CD contents and installation tests.

A major point of attention for RMs that affects the installer is a timely
start of the stabilization of the kernel.

Cheers,
FJP