Re: debian-installer plans for the lenny cycle

Frans Pop ha scritto:
On Tuesday 17 April 2007 21:06, Luk Claes wrote:
We would like to know which major features are expected to be added in
the next 24 months and how much time you expect them to need to get
stable enough for a Debian stable release.

An overview of the plans of the D-I team can be found at:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/LennyGoals

Most of this is incremental development and not earth-shattering change. Quite a few items are optional.
One thing i started working on before Etch was released is cdebconf's
web frontend [1]: basically it provides ability to perform remote
graphical instalations once the network is set up.

The frontend itself is complete, what needs to be done is adding
authentications and ciphering mechanisms.
All this can be done outside the cdebconf module, let's say in appropriate cgi scripts, so even by someone who's not really into cdebconf's internals but has knowldge of web servers, ssl, cgi.

I would like to know if there is interest enough in this frontend to be considered a goal for Lenny, and if somone's willing to work on the authentication/security part.

thanks

Attilio

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/WebInstaller