Re: r46016 - in trunk/packages/main-menu: . debian

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 01:50:14PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Friday 23 March 2007 11:50, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Log:
> > * Restore previous default priority when selecting a menu item
> > immediately after backing up to the main menu.
>
> Im not sure that this change is a good idea. Having the priority lowered
> after exiting to the menu can be very useful.
>
> For example, if you want to change the mirror protocol, or setup the sudo
> for the target system, or not create a user account, you can currently
> just <Go Back> to the main menu, select the component again and you will
> have those options available.

This always seemed like a non-intuitive Easter egg to me. Why not
explicitly change the priority using cdebconf-priority if that's what
you actually want? It's not clear to me that it ought to be the default.

More often than not I find the (silently) changed priority irritating
and confusing, and that's the feedback I've consistently got from users
too ("I just said go back, why is it suddenly asking me lots more
questions?").

> Also, I don't really see the difference between selecting a component
> again straight away and first executing a different (no-op) component
> like Save debug logs, Check CD integrity or Start a debug shell before
> going back to the component.

Perhaps neverdefault components ought to be special-cased here. I can
see that we perhaps ought not to return the priority to the default on
selecting them.

> IMO, the old behavior of only resetting the priority after successful
> completion of the next selected component was more useful.

The next selected component might be quite long and involve many steps
of its own. What if it happens to be pkgsel, for instance?