Re: r45997 - in trunk/packages/installation-report: debian finish-install.d

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 04:51:14PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > * Merge from Ubuntu:
> >   - Save /target/var/lib/dpkg/status to
> >     /target/var/log/installer/initial-status.gz; suggested by Jason
> >     Whitlark.
>
> I'm uncertian of what the benefits of doing this are, at least for
> Debian. After the install, the dpkg status will only be changed if the
> user changes it (no base-config anymore), and any status changes will be
> logged in dpkg.log. So I don't understand how initial-status.gz could be
> useful for d-i debugging.
>
> /var/backup/dpkg.status.0 seems like a better place to put it if there's
> some reason to backup the post-d-i status.

IIRC, the rationale was that having a record of the initial status was
useful if you were trying to find out (perhaps for belated debugging)
what packages the installer installed without grubbing through
hard-to-parse log files. I don't recall there being anything
Ubuntu-specific about the request.

You're right about dpkg.log, I guess.