modify existing menu.lst instead of creating a new one

Hi all,

as far as  I know the default  behaviour of d-i  when the user answers
yes to the question "Do you  want to use  GRUB as boot manager", is to
first search for other operating systems, generating the menu.lst file
accordingly,  and  then  install is own  instance   of  grub (possibly
overwriting an existing instance).

That was always fine for me, but  recently I was  asked by a couple of
users if it  is possible to  make  the d-i  detect if a  GRUB instance
already  exists, and  possibly add    an entry  for  the system  being
installed  to the relevant  existing  menu.lst, without generating its
own instance.

Would this be possible at the state of the art?

Ciao!

Free