Re: Wrong console characters are after fresh etch install

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 00:37, Durk Strooisma wrote:
> Just bringing up this issue again (see the end of the mail for the
> original post). It would be nice if some people could check if they
> encounter the same issue with wrongly displayed console characters in
> Etch as well. If yes, I can post bug. You can simply check this by
> issuing "man sudoers"; quotes should be displayed as quotes, not
> characters like "â".

It is a known issue due to the switch from legacy encodings to UTF-8. Not
all applications in Debian work perfectly in/with UTF-8 yet, although it
may also have to do with the font that is used.

If I display the sudoers manpage on a console, I get black squares instead
of the quotes. In KDE's konqueror the manpage is displayed correctly.

This is not an installer issue, but either a configuration issue or an
application issue. If you have concrete suggestions what the installer
could do to make certain applications work better, we could look at it
(especially when it concerns default console configuration), but in
principle the issues need to be solved by the maintainers of the packages
having problems with UTF-8.

See also http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/errata where the
general issue is mentioned.

Cheers,